History of Sandleheath
The Manor of Sandhill was recorded in Domesday. In 1274 it was held by Thomas Baldwin and has had many owners over the past centuries.
An Elizabethan House (largely rebuilt around 1900 but retaining the Tudor syle) forming part of the Forres Sandle Manor Preparatory School is still in existence.
In 1832 the Cranborne Chase and New Forest Turnpike Trust took over reponsibility for the route through Fordingbidge to near Shaftesbury. A toll gate was established in Sandleheath.
A map from 1889 names the village Sandhill Heath but by the 1901 census it had changes to Sandleheath.
In 1870 it was recorded that there were fewer than 20 dwellings, and in 1891 there were 32, with139 inhabitants (including children).
The village itself remained relatively small until the arrival of the nearby railway in 1870 which stimulated growth.
In its time the village has housed a public house (now a Grade II listed private house), two shops, a bakery and a Post Office. Today only the village shop (incorporating a sub post office) remains.
An underlying seam of blue clay, which had been worked on a small scale since Roman times, was exploited by five brickmaking works which employed about 100 men during the first quarter of the 20th century. This engendered a corresponding growth in local building. Brickmaking continued until the 1960's when the remaining yard closed. Some of the sites are now occupied by light industry which provides local employment.
The Sandleheath website Logo consists of three tools of the Brickmakers' Trade.
The village presently includes some 250 houses and has 510 registered electors (2012)
Since the railways closed around 1970 there has been a considerable increase in traffic intensity on inadequate local roads in the village and through Fordingbridge.